Wednesday, November 22, 2006

elearning

My head is full of ideas about elearning at the moment. The growth of the internet gets faster and faster as seers have always predicted. I got into this by looking at lots of the sites which are really blogs, such as Jane Knight's Jane's Link of the Day, Will Richardson's Weblogg-ed and Tony Karrer's eLearning Technology.

Will writes an education blog and most of his ideas and enthusiasms are practical and classroom related. Jane and Tony both come from a business perspective. Jane regularly has items of interest in her daily pick - I enjoyed Cappuccino U last week for instance. Hers is a good starting point. Tony has a very clear way of writing his blog, simple but inspiring.

I was very taken with the idea from Will, picked up on (here) that teachers must be users. I have widened the range of Web 2, collaborative, things I have been doing on the web, because this is where a big part of the future of elearning must be. As well as blogging, I have been using Moodle, to which my college is migrating from Blackboard, a great step forward if teachers can grasp the opportunities for collaborative learning it offers. I have been using RSS feeds, and would like to add one to the What's New page. I have been playing with del.icio.us and browsing Utube, Myspace and Flickr.

Some of this must get reflected in posted links. I am trying to rejig the ILT page but haven't found the formula yet.

I am finding it hard to punctuate elearning properly: it could be e-learning, elearning, eLearning, Elearning and others.

2 comments:

KC said...

Hi Chris I like your Skills for Life Blog. I know what you mean about punctuating e-learning(which is my preference). A colleague from Bolton University who is looking at social networking in conjunction with CPD e-portfolios also introduced me to del.icio.us this week. He is also using the social networking browser http://www.flock.com/

pete said...

Hi Chris - Kevin has started the Moodle area for the e-learning strategy group and I've posted there, picking up on the point Will makes about teachers needing to embrace Web 2.0 for themselves before they can empower their learners. Spread the word - blogging is good for you!